16 April 2011

A Face For Hats






Despite the fact I only read it last year, on Tuesday I couldn’t remember the name of one of my very favorite books.
But, on Saturday, burying a hand trowel into earth made forgiving by Spring rains, I remembered being eight and being dubbed “Messy Bessie” by my brownie leader.
I forgot to buy an onion at the supermarket.
But every time I see a hat, or a lady wearing a hat, or even a hat-rack, I remember being twelve and standing in the millinery department at Macy’s. My sister and I were accompanied by my grandmother in what was an annual After-Christmas walking tour of Perimeter Mall.  I call it a walking tour because, while occasionally an item was returned, nothing was ever actually purchased. 
My sister and I donned hats.  Both of us posed in front of mirrors.
“Laura!”, my grandmother called.  “Laura, you don’t have a face for hats.  You need a plain face to wear a hat.”
There was a slight pause as we looked at one another for an answer to the question neither of us would ask before she provided it.
“Stacye…”, it was a statement.  “Now, Stacye has a face for hats.”
At work on Monday, I panicked at the idea of creating a whole new set of contracts, only to discover I’d already done it, weeks before.
Wednesday night, as I reclined against the cold ceramic part of the bathtub not filled with warm water, I remembered John O’Conner turning in his desk to ask in his most sardonic voice “Was that really necessary?”, before I even had a chance to lower the hand I’d raised, in vain, to prevent the burp from escaping my fourteen-year-old lips.
I sometimes struggle to remember which son was born on what date. Although in two different months, their birthdates are just two weeks apart. Which one was born in April and which in May?
And, just the other day, as I pinched dead blooms from pansies’ heads, the image of long, yellow hair swirling around my sister’s snarl flashed across my brain.  Anger reddened her cheeks.
“I wouldn’t trade places with you for anything in the world!”, she growled.
The toddler at my feet pressed her back against my legs as instinct tightened my hold on the baby in my lap.  We all shrank.
They come in quiet moments, reflections of mis-steps, things I’d rather forget.  They’re etched there, burned onto the surface, easy to retrieve.  They come unbidden.
They are not who I am but they are, in part, what makes me, me. 


© Copyright 2007-2011 Stacye Carroll All Rights Reserved

No comments: